Parenting education has a very strong tradition in Minnesota. Interest in parenting continues to grow, especially as we learn more about the significant role that parents play in the lives of their children, and the role that education and parent-focused programs play in supporting parents. At the same time, the amount of information about parenting has increased exponentially over the last couple decades. What is needed is a place where professionals can share resources, ideas, best practices, lesson plans, etc. A place where we can learn from each other and provide support.
The purpose of this wiki is to serve as a sharing platform for people who work with parents (or for those preparing to work with parents). Like Wikipedia, the strength and value of a wiki resides in the activity and quality of its contributors. The Wikidot resource was selected due to its ease of use (see below for more information).
Common topics in parenting education are listed on the left navigation column. Additional topics are easy to add. When you click on a topic, a separate page will open. The format on most of the pages is the same, with the nine following constituents (which will be dark blue and in larger font):
- Overview - Provides an overview of the topic.
- Books & Other Literature - Share a book that you have found helpful. If you can provide a short review of the book, that would be helpful.
- Effective Parent Practices - Share some strategies, styles, practices, etc that parents have found to be helpful or effective.
- Internet Links - If you have found a resource on a website, provide the link.
- Lesson Plans & Curricula - If you have developed a lesson plan that has worked well, please share with others by uploading. For privacy, you can remove any identifying information. If you want your work to be credited, request that your name remain on the lesson plan. For consistency, please use the Integrated Lesson Plan or something similar.
- Research - Please share any research you have found on the topic.
- Resources - This space is for any other resources on the topic you have found beneficial. It could be human resources (e.g. speakers, local experts, etc), videos, etc.
- Teaching Strategies - Share teaching strategies or methods that you have found to be beneficial, effective, etc.
- Videos & Presentations - Share a video or presentation on the topic.
DEFINITIONS & OVERVIEWS
Early Report, Spring 1994, Parent Education
Click Here, Center for Early Education and Development (CEED), University of Minnesota
Parent Education to Strengthen Families and Reduce the Risk of Maltreatment
Click Here, Child Welfare Information Gateway
Virginia Statewide Parent Education Coalition (VSPEC)
WHAT IS A WIKI?
Click here for a YouTube video demonstrating the wiki concept.
PURPOSE OF THIS SITE
- To serve as a hub, or a platform, for parenting educators in Minnesota.
- To help connect parenting professionals and strengthen relationships between and among providers.
- To provide a common space for sharing, collaborating, and learning about the delivery of parenting education.
- Most importantly, to share ideas, resources, strategies, etc.
HOW TO USE THIS SITE
By definition, a wiki is a website that allows the creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language. Early childhood professionals from a variety of programs/services are able to create and edit information in their areas of interest or expertise. For instance, if you have a link, resource or best practice that you would like to share with colleagues, you can add the information to this site.
Some organizations especially relevant to early childhood administrators are listed on the top tool bar. The left side tool bar contains links to topic-specific areas of interest.
In order to edit this wiki, you must log in. To create an account, click here.
For instructions on Getting Started, click here - PDF
SOCIAL NETWORKING LINKS